Thursday, April 16, 2015

Spring's Birthday

So for the past month or so my cute student Spring has been telling me about how her birthday is coming up and how I'd need to go to her house. Haha. Being the funny girl that she is, I thought nothing of it and told her I'd need a note from her parents if that was going to happen.

She kept talking about it as time went on telling me how I'd "make her nails like mine" and "eat cake." Finally, the day of her birthday came and she reminded me again that I was going to her house that night.. I had one of her Chinese teachers call her parents and clarify and sure enough I was going to her house that night. Hahah. I guess she'd been begging her parents all month and they weren't going for it since they were embarrassed that they couldn't speak English well. But Princess Spring worked her magic charm and next thing I know we're putting together a gift for Spring's birthday dinner!

All of us first grade teachers (and Jerem) walked home with Spring and her sister Lily, who is in second grade in ILP! Spring literally didn't stop bouncing the entire way there. She was so so so excited and it was the most adorable thing ever.

Her house was like a concrete castle. Haha. Literally just six floors of concrete. We got to meet her infamous chicks who I'm surprised haven't made their way into class yet. Her room was her own little library. Honestly. At least 1000 books. Makes sense; she's a genius. She opened her little gifts we got her and was all cute and tried sharing it all with us. HER present. Chinese people.. I tell ya. I've definitely learned a thing or two.

I finally got to paint her nails for her as she watched My Little Pony before dinner, but we were called down to eat after only painting one hand and spent the next five minutes blowing them dry.. hahha. Only to find out the next day at school that "painted nails are only for teachers" from little Spring who had to scrub it off in her previous class.... WHOOPS. Lol.

Dinner was a never-ending feast. Everything from peanuts, straight up pig, stinky tofu, assorted veggies, mystery meats, fish, liver and onions, to chocolate truffles. They looked at us like we were going to starve from how "little" we had eaten but really I'm not sure how much more we possibly could have downed. It's still a mystery to me at how skinny they are with all these never-ending dinners they have.

The night ended with Spring taking a solid twelve seconds to make a wish on her cake, getting into a frosting fight with Lily, and Spring's dad telling her "Spring, remember this day for all your life." It was quite the night and I'm so glad that she convinced them it was a good idea. Her parents were the cutest people. Chinese people are so humble and genuinely kind! They were so happy for us to be there and so welcoming. They raised the sweetest little girl who I love so much!

Happy Birthday Spring!!  








No comments:

Post a Comment